Friday, February 1, 2013

How Not To Make A Movie

I recently purchased a Blu Ray player and have been making use of it by renting a lot of movies, though in a move endorsed by +Andrejia Brunett-Libecap, one of my Triberr buddies, I am using the library. Good thing this time around, as this one would have been a complete waste of money as well as time. This way it was only the latter. Not as much time as it could have been, as it is the first movie I watched on Fast Forward.

I guess it should have been a tip off when the movie was marketed as a comedy. I mean, yes, so was the Batman series with Adam West, but at least it was played semi-straight.
As a child I had a LP of the Green Hornet radio drama, and to me, Black Beauty could whip the Batmobile anyday. Plus except for the mask, Green Hornet fought crime in a suit and hat and never broke a wrinkle. Cool and Suave.

And then Hollywood came along and wrecked things. Actually they're pretty good at that these days (The A-Team Movie and Battleship come to mind pretty quick). Seth Rogan and Jay Chou are no Van Williams and Bruce Lee, that's for sure. Britt Reid/Green Hornet came off as an incompetent J***A** among other things, and though you couldn't get more cookie cutter or stupid a villain than bloodnofsky or whatever he wanted to be called, it made you think that the Batman Villains of the 60's (yes even King Tut) were Masterpiece Theatre quality. To put it simply, this is the first action superhero movie I was hoping they would off the hero. I guess the first thing you need to remember is never nake a hero movie where you hate the hero.

Then there is the "love interest" being Cameron Diaz. Sorry Hollywood, she's not A-list material anymore. Well, I guess that made her perfect for this movie then. It's not so much that I'm opposed to love interests, it's just if you're going to put it in the film, at least make it an issue. Here, except for a few jokes, it was a wasted role.

In closing, I'll give you a chance to make your own decision. Her's the Bruce Lee version

And Here's the Jay Chou version.

An anti-hero movie. Root for the villain. If you like it rent It. But get it free from the library.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Christopher!
    his wasn't our favorite movie, either --- I'm glad you got it from the library and didn't waste money on it. Speaking of which, thanks for the mention! :)

    ReplyDelete